RE: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

From: <jim.silverman_at_thomson.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:25:26 -0400

The primary benefit of having an AUTOBACKUP of the controlfile is that you can restore the most recent controlfile when you have no other information available. The following text is copied, verbatim, from the 10g Backup and Recovery Advanced User's Guide:

A control file autobackup lets you restore the RMAN repository contained in the control file when the control file is lost and you have no recovery catalog. You do not need a recovery catalog or target database control file to restore the control file autobackup. For example, you can issue:

                RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM AUTOBACKUP; After you restore and mount the control file, you have the backup information necessary to restore and recover the database. You can connect to the target instance in NOCATALOG mode and recover the database. You can also create a new recovery catalog and register the target database. The RMAN repository records in the control file will be copied to the new recovery catalog.

HTH...

Jim Silverman
Senior Systems Database Administrator
Solucient, LLC - A Thomson Company
Telephone: 734-669-7641
FAX:            734-930-7611
E-Mail:         jim.silverman_at_thomson.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Don Seiler Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:32 AM
To: gkatteri_at_fastmail.fm
Cc: ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

In my system recovery internal docs I have this page bookmarked:

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmr ecov004.htm#sthref734

But yes you'll definitely want controlfile autobackup on.

Don.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96565/rcms ynta46.htm#93304

> If you do not have backup of the init.ora /spfile you would need to
create
> one.
>
> HTH
>
> GovindanK
>
> On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:42:39 +0000, ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net said:
>
> I am using RMAN without the repository. I want to plan in case we have
> total site loss and all I have left are my tape backups which are all
> compressed backupsets.
>
> So my control files with my catalog are gone. What do you recommend as
the
> best way to recover if this happens? Should I backup my control files
> seperately on top of the backupset? Should I do backup controlfile to
trace?

--
Don Seiler
oracle: http://seilerwerks.blogspot.com