Re: RMAN without a repository and a total site loss

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 14:08:40 +0100

On 4/18/07, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/17/07, GovindanK <gkatteri_at_fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >
> > Lot of ideas have been given about this thread. Autobackup is one good
> > concept. It is preferred you put the dbid as part of the media handle or
> > wherever you can plug that in.
> >

> The default media handle is %F, which includes the DBID.
> You must include %F in any custom filespec, or an error will be raised.

My favourite pain. You are indeed correct that if you miss out the %F an error occurs. Of course specifying a media handle that is utter garbage will work, but getting the idea of what should be in it wrong - that's worth an error message.

RMAN> show all;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION OFF;
CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF;
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK PARALLELISM 1 BACKUP TYPE TO COMPRESSED BACKUPSET;
CONFIGURE DATAFILE BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG BACKUP COPIES FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO 1; # default CONFIGURE MAXSETSIZE TO UNLIMITED; # default CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION FOR DATABASE OFF; # default CONFIGURE ENCRYPTION ALGORITHM 'AES128'; # default CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default CONFIGURE SNAPSHOT CONTROLFILE NAME TO
'C:\ORACLE\10.2.0\DB_1\DATABASE\SNCFNL102.ORA'; # default

so windows then - I don't care who knows what the db on my laptop is called!

RMAN> configure controlfile autobackup on;

old RMAN configuration parameters:
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP OFF;
new RMAN configuration parameters:
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
new RMAN configuration parameters are successfully stored

RMAN> CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '/oracle-l/example/%F';

old RMAN configuration parameters:
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '%F'; new RMAN configuration parameters:
CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT FOR DEVICE TYPE DISK TO '/oracle-l/example/%F';
new RMAN configuration parameters are successfully stored

obviously I want that %F otherwise there might be something dubious about the file name.

RMAN> backup database plus archivelog delete input;

Starting backup at 18-APR-07
current log archived
allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1

channel ORA_DISK_1: sid=154 devtype=DISK
channel ORA_DISK_1: starting compressed archive log backupset
channel ORA_DISK_1: specifying archive log(s) in backup set
input archive log thread=1 sequence=66 recid=60 stamp=614628956
input archive log thread=1 sequence=67 recid=61 stamp=614636277
input archive log thread=1 sequence=68 recid=62 stamp=614672611
input archive log thread=1 sequence=69 recid=63 stamp=614680522
input archive log thread=1 sequence=70 recid=64 stamp=614939070 input archive log thread=1 sequence=71 recid=65 stamp=615026375

<snip>

Finished backup at 18-APR-07

Starting Control File and SPFILE Autobackup at 18-APR-07

RMAN-03009: failure of Control File and SPFILE Autobackup command on ORA_DISK_1 channel at 04/18/2007 14:05:48 ORA-19504: failed to create file
"C:\ORACLE-L\EXAMPLE\C-2226215014-20070418-00"
ORA-27056: could not delete file
OSD-04029: unable to get file attributes
O/S-Error: (OS 3) The system cannot find the path specified.

RMAN> ah well at least the dbid was there...