Re: Alert Once Functionality.

From: Rumpi Gravenstein <rgravens_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:19:50 -0400

N -

Over many years of dealing with this problem what I have come to is a "split-the-difference" approach. What we do is send important error messages via e-mail once and then again and again at ever slower intervals -- much like the DBMS_JOB failure/reschedule algorithm. After the message has been sent out "N" times and not acknowledged, we stop sending it figuring that all we are doing is filling a mailbox. The resend interval, slowdown rate, and stop threshold is configured based on the error. This approach has served us fairly well.

On 4/18/07, Norman Dunbar <norman.dunbar_at_environment-agency.gov.uk> wrote:

> Morning Niall,
>
> >> ... or being alerted on the detection of a problem, and then not
> until it is
> >> resolved. If anyone uses the second approach I'd love to hear what
> tools you
> >> use.
>
> In a word, Nagios.
>
> It can be configured to send an alert when a service goes down, then
> repeatedly every n minutes and finally, an un-alert when the service
> comes back up. Alternatively, it can be configured to alert once on
> detection of the problem and again when it comes back up.
>
> When monitoring here, I get alerted every half hour until fixed. That's
> how we like it, so we have turned off the alerting once option. In
> addition, we can also set a time period in which no alerts should be
> sent out.
>
> Obviously, the 'eye candy' screen giving an overview of the system
> shows all problems all the time.
>

> Cheers,
> Norman.
>
> Norman Dunbar.
> Contract Oracle DBA.
> Rivers House, Leeds.
>
> Internal : 7 28 2051
> External : 0113 231 2051
>

> Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally
> privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the
> sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.
>
> We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
> still check any attachment before opening it.
>
> We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to
> under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for
> litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment
> Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or
> recipient, for business purposes.
>
> If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our
> terms and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506. Find
> out more about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk

Rumpi Gravenstein