Re: RMAN backup Basic question

From: Bala <oratips_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 15:30:21 -0400

Thank you very much. To summarise .

  1. use RMAN to backup -- use backup command -- RMAN Converts into proprietary format pointing to a disk location -- and than FTP over all the files of the backup - to different OS ( Windows, HP, AIX etc ) and use DUPLICATE command to create a database say from PROD to TEST across platforms !

On 4/17/07, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> If you are referring to the DUPLICATE command, yes it may
> duplicate a database to another platform.
>
> From the fine user manual, under the DUPLICATE command
> in the RMAN reference manual:
>
> "If you can make an operating system copy of a database file on one
> platform
> and then restore it to another platform, then it is also possible to
> duplicate a
> database from one platform to another. Otherwise, duplication is not
> possible."
>

> On 4/17/07, Derya Oktay <deryaoktay_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I heard about the TARGET parameter given in RMAN which enables to
> > transport backups from one platform to another, which has the same ENDian.
> > Is not that correct?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Derya.
> >
> > On 4/17/07, Pabba, Chandra <Chandra.Pabba_at_fmr.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > If you are referring to ongoing/regular backups/restores from one
> > > platform to another, the answer is NO for both the questions. Just
> > > FYI....this is not a RMAN restriction or limitation but this is because of
> > > the fact that the data files and its format is OS dependent. Of course, you
> > > can use the Transportable Tablespace feature of Oracle10g for cross platform
> > > transfer of datafiles, but may be a good option to use for one time setup.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Chandra Pabba

Bala Rao