Re: Alert Once Functionality.

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 12:12:46 -0700

On 4/17/07, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> All
>
> I'm going to be talking about the perils of email notifications for Oracle
> databases next week - namely that you either don't monitor what you should,
> or you get drowned in alerts, often repeated. I see two basic alternatives
> to this approach - the dashboard approach (see the eye candy thread) or
> being alerted on the detection of a problem, and then not until it is
> resolved. If anyone uses the second approach I'd love to hear what tools you
> use.

No dashboards, but not exactly the 2nd option either.

Emailed once: errors in the alert log

Once a day: low space notifications, restore feasability reports(can a database be restored?), password expiration report, failed backups, successful backups, Window Services restarted

Every 2 hours: failed jobs in DBA_JOBS,

Every 10 minutes: downed database (outages per db can be specified to stop emails)

Maybe some others I do not recall at the moment.

There is a variety of scripts and Perl packages used to implement this system, both from CPAN and written here.

Oh, did I mention these are all written in Perl?

--
Jared Still