RE: Performance challenge.

From: Powell, Mark D <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 14:25:50 -0400

The statement >> (It also appears you can not flush any active statements from the shared_pool.) << is true. If the SQL is actively being executed it does not flush.

Are you generating histograms? The behavior you describe where it appears to matter what values were used in an SQL statement as to how following submissions of the statement perform makes me think that bind variable peeking could be in play. Try eliminating the histograms and see what happens. You can always put them back.

And yes when you regenerate the statistics you flush existing, not in use, SQL that uses the object out of the shared pool.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --
Phone (313) 592-5148