RE: smon locked sys.fet$ on oracle 816 (unix)

From: Johnson, William L \(TEIS\) <WLJohnson_at_tycoelectronics.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:10:50 -0400

We ended up recovering a database after having dropped a dictionary managed index with over 400,000 extents- smon went out to lunch and the instance ended up becoming unusable. (Yeah - don't know how our monitoring missed the index growing that big...) In any event, the way we got around this problem was to convert the tabelspace to locally managed and then drop the object. As LMTS, the objects go away very quickly - and the conversion from dictionary to locally managed is very fast - so why does it take so long to drop as dictionary managed? That is Oracle for you...