RE: RAC Geographical Architecture

From: Michael Fontana <MFontana_at_verio.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:55:42 -0400

Someone else wrote back with a link to a good whitepaper from Oracle published in 2006.

It seemed to imply a 100km limit, between the servers, in geographical terms.

In addition to the added cost for the DWDM (hundreds of thousands$$$$), a site would also need at least four mirrored (remote) copies of disk, with clustering technology (which ain't cheap).

You seem to imply this has been do-able since 2004? And that there are least 10 such sites running it? Amazing.

I would imagine 11g may have even more capability. While I don't normally like to discuss or even consider vaporware, this time my question is based upon putting together a 3-5 year plan for my executives. Any information on future Oracle direction would be helpful. Do you have a link from Oracle?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007146509X/
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Apr 16 2007 - 16:55:42 CDT