Re: Deploying 9i

From: <JApplewhite_at_austinisd.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 22:09:51 -0500

Dependence on 3rd Party Apps keeps us at 9i too. Both our Student Information System (SASIxp) and Financials (IFAS) - as well as a couple of minor ones - are only certified with 9i. We have about 30 9i databases (mostly Dev and Test, but 3 or 4 main Production ones too). We have only one 10g database and that was to deploy the latest HTMLDB, which the Developers have since abandoned in favor of Java.

All our Financial DBs are at 9.2.0.8 now - most of our Student Info. DBs as well. The Prod and several other Stu. Info. DBs are still at 9.2.0.4.

I'm fine with it, liking the "trailing edge" role much better than the
"bleeding edge" situation I used to be in as a Consultant. As we run into
bugs, we find they've already been thoroughly dealt with and have patches available. Most of our "challenges" are unrelated to the database, but concern the quirks of the designed-by-the-same-brainless-comittee 3rd Party Apps we're saddled with.

We'll get fully to 10g about the time 11g is in its 2nd release - a leisurely pace that well suits this old curmudgeon. At least we have the latest servers and OS (mostly RHEL4 64bit on Opteron CPUs), plus almost limitless SAN and a total fibre LAN/WAN, so infrastructure and performance are quite nice.

Contentedly....

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin (Texas) Independent School District 512.414.9715 (wk) / 512.935.5929 (pager)

 Same-Day Stump Grinding! Senior Discounts!

"Jared Still" <jkstill_at_gmail.com>

04/13/2007 07:07 PM
Please respond to
jkstill_at_gmail.com

kevinc_at_polyserve.com
cc
oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject
Re: Deploying 9i

On 4/13/07, Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com> wrote:

…sorry for hijacking this thread, but this post got me thinking. Oracle9i is 6 year old software. I see this deployment is in test phase (presumably headed for production). I wonder how many 9i databases are getting deployed these days?

Maybe more thank you think.

Some canned apps simply have not been certified with 10g.

We have deployed 10g here where feasable.

I have 1 app that simply will not work unless Oracle is 9.2.0.6.

--
Jared Still