Re: Active/Passive "high availability"

From: <Mayen.Shah_at_lazard.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:13:08 -0400

Hi Peter,

If you implement dataguard or simple physical standby database, it is DR solution and not HA. You also need double the storage space.

For HA you need some kind of software (SUN Cluster or VCS). You mentioned about not purchasing additional license from Oracle so RAC is out of question. To avoid having accidental start of Oracle on both machines and may be licensing issue etc., why don't you keep ORACLE HOME on shared disks. I had implemented this in worked very well.

Mayen Shah

    "Schauss, Peter"                                                         To
    <peter.schauss_at_ng         oracle-l_at_freelists.org
    c.com>                                                                   cc
    Sent by:
    oracle-l-bounce_at_f                                                   Subject
    reelists.org              Active/Passive "high availability"

    Apr 11 2007 04:24
    PM

    Please respond to
    peter.schauss_at_ngc
          .com

My manager is proposing to cluster two Solaris 5.9 servers in order to create a "high availability" solution. At this stage he is a bit unclear as to what software he would be using for the cluster, but he does not envision purchasing any additional licenses from Oracle. Our Oracle version is 8.1.7.4.

His idea is to have an Oracle instance running on one box and a second Oracle home on the second box, but not running. In the event of a failure on the active box, we would start the Oracle instance on the other one to minimize down time.

Aside from my questions about what this configuration actually accomplishes, my concerns would be:

Thanks,
Peter Schauss