Re: DML on dual?

From: Tim Hall <timhall1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:44:57 -0700

I'm sure I saw this problem with SELECT 1 FROM DUAL FOR UPDATE NOWAIT on an older version of Oracle a few years ago. If I recall correctly, we traced it to an internal Oracle process... either the OCI interface or DBMS_PIPE or ??? I just can't remember for sure which one it was. We eventually realized it was some internal application's lame way of making sure that there was only one instance of a certain process running at any point in time.

I realize that's not much to go on, but maybe it will trigger someone else's memory... Tim