RE: DML on dual?

From: Taft, David <TaftD_at_saic-dc.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 15:48:08 -0400

John,

Since I didn't have Tom's book with me, I decided to check his website. Probably had my facts confused. Right author, wrong example? Anyway, it appears that SQL*Plus connections generate this same statement.

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:15628139 56388
<http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:1562813 956388>
SELECT NULL FROM DUAL FOR UPDATE NOWAIT; December 27, 2005

David

From: John Darrah [mailto:darrah.john_at_gmail.com]

I've seen several oracle trace files that have the statement "SELECT 1 FROM DUAL FOR UPDATE NOWAIT" I have no idea what the purpose of that statement is but it probably explains what you are seeing.