RE: RMAN without a repository

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:12:46 +0000

If I set redundancy 4 and then delete obsolete, that will delete the older backupsets.

however, if I set the control_file_record_keep_time to 1000 days, shouldn't that keep 1000 days worth of backup data so I can still restore from tape?

will control files really get that big? aren't they just keeping some data for rman. This can't be more than a few megabytes at most even with 1000 days worthof backups?

Ryan,

“Redundancy = 4” should ensure that your controlfile retains metadata knowledge of 4 backups of the specified type. If you want to ensure that you don’t lose this info though, I would strongly recommend that you use a catalog database (just in case you lose your controlfile(s)… and should be used if your instance is mission critical). Since it doesn’t sound like you are using a catalog db, I also suggest that you use “controlfile copy” versus controlfile backups (or in addition to at a minimum).

Regardless of catalog database usage… make lots of controlfile copies on different disks… often. And… be sure that you have enough mountpoint space for your expandable controlfiles. If control_file_record_keep_time > 0, it will expand when needed. And if you’re asking your controlfiles to retain 4 backups worth of knowledge, depending on db size, backup frequency, amount of redo, etc… these controlfiles may get large.

Raj.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 1:40 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RMAN without a repository

If I am making tape backups and I am using redundancy 4. How do I restore older backups after the controlfile recycles? Or do I set control_file_record_keep_time to a sufficiently large number?

do I have to write down the DBID and use that to restore an older copy?
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Apr 10 2007 - 16:12:46 CDT