Re: Coalescing Indxes on a regular basis

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:31:39 +0200

Only on indexes belonging to the AQ queues (I don't know whether this is supported or not by the way, even if it seems a relatively safe operation to me). I started doing that after noticing hundreds of consistent gets on empty or almost empty queues; in fact this is the typical "sweeper" index that can get a lot of benefit from COALESCE.

I don't bother doing that on all indexes, only on those I know being "problematic".

On 4/10/07, fmhabash_at_gmail.com <fmhabash_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Does any implement this type of maintenance on indexes regularly?
> Theoretically, this should be good practice on tables that witness large
> number of updates or deletes.
> For those who do not, can you please explain why?

Alberto Dell'Era
"dulce bellum inexpertis"