Re: Non Oracle knowledge to be a good Oracle DBA/expert

From: Rodd Holman <Rodd.Holman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 08:29:43 -0500

A lot of folks have commented about knowing programming languages and hardware and all the IT stuff. That is all good and helpful, but what I've found most helpful is my ability to work with those outside of IT and understand their data needs. I came to be a DBA after working on the data use and analysis side. I worked in the Economics and Planning department of a refinery. There are many times in design discussions with IT'ers (who have only worked IT positions) that I've had to explain to them that "yes, the user does need that data and here's why". So to sum it up, look out side of IT for some additional knowledge too. Understanding the business needs of your users can help tremendously when going through project requirements and enhancements. It also makes you more approachable to the non-IT folks. They see you as someone who helps move their job forward rather than the road block to getting something done.

Rodd