RE: Further Questions re ASM and RAC

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:46:51 -0700

Hmmm, I haven't tried restarting the rawdevices services. That leads to a question though, what will that do for the CRS installation is the OCR and voting disk are on raw devices. I am worried that they will become damaged. If they won't I will try that. Can you let me know.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

From: Rajeev Prabhakar [mailto:rprabha01_at_gmail.com] Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2007 1:13 PM
To: William Wagman
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Further Questions re ASM and RAC

Hi Bill

May be, you should try the following steps and see if it helps you.

shutdown the asm instance.

Reinitialize the disks using dd and once that is over, ensure entries in

the /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices. Restart rawdevice binding service. i.e. service rawdevices restart (as root)

Now, restart the ASM instance and try creating the diskgroup again with appropriate disks.

-Rajeev

On 4/6/07, William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu> wrote:

        Greetings,

	I am continuing to have difficulties getting ASM installed and
	configured in my two-node RAC cluster, Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 on
RHEL3 and I
	am certain there is some very simple little bit which I am
missing but I
	just can't figure this out.

	I encountered difficulties with the ASM installation a couple of
days
	ago and it was suggested that I uninstall everything and start
all over
	again with CRS which I did. I installed CRS and began the
installation
	of ASM. I configured the ASM instance using the installer. When
it got
	to the point of creating a disk group I accepted what I thought
was the
	default 'DATA' and continued but the installer said such a group
already
	existed. That surprised me because I thought I had removed all
traces by
	uninstalling, deleteing and dd on disks. Nevertheless, the
install
	seemed ok, it just couldn't mount the disk groups. I went ahead,
	installed the 10.2.0.3.0 patch set and am now trying to get the
dis
	groups mounted and here is what I find. First, there is a
diskgroup but
	it is not mounted...

	SQL> select * from v$asm_diskgroup;

	GROUP_NUMBER NAME                           SECTOR_SIZE
BLOCK_SIZE
	ALLOCATION_UNIT_SIZE STATE
	------------ ------------------------------ -----------
----------
	-------------------- -----------
	TYPE     TOTAL_MB    FREE_MB REQUIRED_MIRROR_FREE_MB
USABLE_FILE_MB
	OFFLINE_DISKS U
	------ ---------- ---------- -----------------------
--------------
	------------- -
	COMPATIBILITY
	DATABASE_COMPATIBILITY
	           0 DATA                                   512
4096
	1048576 DISMOUNTED
	                0          0                       0
0
	0 N
	0.0.0.0.0
	0.0.0.0.0

	I can't mount it...

	SQL> alter diskgroup data mount;
	alter diskgroup data mount
	*
	ERROR at line 1:
	ORA-15032: not all alterations performed
	ORA-15063: ASM discovered an insufficient number of disks for
diskgroup
	"DATA"

	I can't add a disk...

	SQL> alter diskgroup data add disk '/dev/raw/raw3';
	alter diskgroup data add disk '/dev/raw/raw3'
	*
	ERROR at line 1:
	ORA-15032: not all alterations performed
	ORA-15001: diskgroup "DATA" does not exist or is not mounted

	Nor can I drop it...

	SQL> drop diskgroup data including contents;
	drop diskgroup data including contents
	*
	ERROR at line 1:
	ORA-15039: diskgroup not dropped
	ORA-15001: diskgroup "DATA" does not exist or is not mounted

	So I tried to create a new disk group...

	SQL> create diskgroup GROUP1 external redundancy
	  2  disk '/dev/raw/raw3';
	create diskgroup GROUP1 external redundancy
	*
	ERROR at line 1:
	ORA-15018: diskgroup cannot be created
	ORA-15020: discovered duplicate ASM disk "DATA_0000"

	But I don't see where that disk shows up...

	SQL> select group_number,disk_number,name,path from v$asm_disk;

	GROUP_NUMBER DISK_NUMBER NAME
	------------ ----------- ------------------------------
	PATH

	----------------------------
	           0           0
	/dev/raw/raw4

	           0           1
	/dev/raw/raw3

	           0           4
	ORCL:VOL2

	           0           3
	ORCL:VOL1

	           0           2
	/dev/raw/raw2

	The parameter asm_diskstring is not set but I don't know if that
has
	anything to do with this. I'm completely stuck, I don't know
what else
	to look at. I did configure the disks with oracleasm and I am
pretty
	sure I did that part correctly. Sorry to keep bugging everyone
with this
	but I'm completely stuck. I suspect it is something simple that
I am
	just not seeing. If anyone can help me I would greatly
appreciate it.

        Thanks.

	Bill Wagman
	Univ. of California at Davis