RE: Shared Server

From: Nick Yonko <nyonko_at_pdx.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 19:15:59 -0700

I have solved my own problem and thought the list would like to know.

I am running Oracle 10gR2 rel. 3 on SLES 9. I am unsure why, however, the default value for the local_listener parameter, which is "(ADDRESS_LIST=(Address=(Protocol=TCP)(Host=localhost)(Port=1521)) (Address=(Protocol=IPC)(Key=DBname)))" would not register my dispatcher with my listener. I modified 'localhost' to the FQDN of the machine and voila - I was getting shared connections in v$session. I am not sure why 'localhost' didn't work, but I will work on that one next.

I also have the value 'NONE' in the SERVER field of the v$session view, however, that is only for sessions that already have a 'SHARED' value in the SERVER field and are making multiple connections.

From: Nick Yonko [mailto:nyonko_at_pdx.edu] Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 8:50 AM
To: 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'
Subject: Shared Server

In the Oracle documentation, it indicates that the only parameter needed for enabling share servers is to set the 'SHARED_SERVERS' parameter to a non zero value. If the 'DISPATCHERS' parameter is neglected, Oracle will instantiate 1 dispatcher by default to handle shared server traffic.

My SHARED_SERVER parameter is set to '2' and my DISPATCHERS parameter is set to "(protocol=TCP)". Nonetheless, I cannot connect to the server with anything but dedicated connections (verified by querying the v$sessions view).

I have nothing in my sqlnet.ora file or my tnsnames.ora file that would force a dedicated connection to the server.