Re: Further adventures in the world of RAC - Part 1

From: K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 23:14:09 -0700 (PDT)

Bill,

I had quickly browsed thru your adventurees. :) Believe me RAC install is very simple and straight forward if you religiuoly complete the pre requisites. Lot of times we complete the RAC installs in less than few hours.

Couple of questions.

Did you run the clusterverify (cluvfy) sucessfully? Did you create the partitions for ASM disks and set the ownerships correclty. Were you able to read the asm disks from all the nodes.? (simple dd) What is the EXACT error message from asm alert log?

In case if you have already a TAR/SR open let us know the SR# and some one in this list may be able to look the SR and help you.

If you want to cleanup the crs installs just have a look at the note Note:239998.1 Subject: 10g RAC: How to Clean Up After a Failed CRS Install

Best Regards,
K Gopalakrishnan,
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#gopalakrishnan

Author: Oracle Database 10g RAC Handbook, Oracle Press 2006 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007146509X/

Co-Author: Oracle Wait Interface: Oracle Press 2004. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007222729X/

Greetings,

I successfully completed the CRS installation and have moved on to Install Oracle and configure ASM. My first try encountered some problems and so I wanted to begin again and did the following. Using srvctl stopped the ASM instance (it was created but I wasn't sure if it was created correctly) and it stopped on both nodes. Then, using the installer I uninstalled the ASMHOME, deleted the files, removed the reference from oratab and again tried the installer. This time the installer indicated that it found an ASM already there and that I had to take other steps. In fact crs_stat shows the asm instance...

$ ./crs_stat
NAME=ora.banacek.ASM1.asm
TYPE=application
TARGET=OFFLINE
STATE=OFFLINE NAME=ora.banacek.LISTENER_BANACEK.lsnr
TYPE=application
TARGET=OFFLINE
STATE=UNKNOWN on banacek
.
.
.

So I attempted to remove asm using srvctl which throws errors...

$ srvctl remove asm -n banacek
PRKS-1033 : Failed to remove configuration for ASM instance "+ASM1" on node "banacek" from cluster registry, [Error 0: oracle exe /opt/pkg/oracle/asmhome/bin/oracle not
found(scls_idq_get_oracle_user_id: stat:[1])   [Error 0: oracle exe /opt/pkg/oracle/asmhome/bin/oracle not found(scls_idq_get_oracle_user_id: stat:[1])]]   [Error 0: oracle exe /opt/pkg/oracle/asmhome/bin/oracle not found(scls_idq_get_oracle_user_id: stat:[1])   [Error 0: oracle exe /opt/pkg/oracle/asmhome/bin/oracle not found(scls_idq_get_oracle_user_id: stat:[1])]] $

Which indeed makes sense since I removed the /opt/pkg/oracle/asmhome directory.

Am I hosed or can I remove this occurrence of asm? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center