Further adventures in RAC - Part 2

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 16:27:46 -0700

Greetings,

I am attempting to install Oracle and create the ASM instance and am using oracleasm to configure the disks. I am installing Oracle 10.2.0.1.0 Enterprise Edition on RHEL3. The disks look like this...

[root_at_banacek init.d]# cat /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices

# raw device bindings
#          <rawdev> <blockdev>
# example: /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sda1
#          /dev/raw/raw2 8 5

/dev/raw/raw1 /dev/emcpowera1
/dev/raw/raw2 /dev/emcpowera2
/dev/raw/raw3 /dev/emcpowera3
/dev/raw/raw4 /dev/emcpowerb1

[root_at_banacek init.d]# raw -qa
/dev/raw/raw1: bound to major 232, minor 1
/dev/raw/raw2: bound to major 232, minor 2
/dev/raw/raw3: bound to major 232, minor 3
/dev/raw/raw4: bound to major 232, minor 17

I configured them using oracleasm as follows

./oracleasm createdisk VOL1 /dev/emcpowera3 ./oracleasm createdisk VOL2 /dev/emcpowerb1

And both disks show up on each node...

[root_at_banacek init.d]# ./oracleasm listdisks VOL1
VOL2
[root_at_banacek init.d]# ./oracleasm querydisk VOL1 Disk "VOL1" is a valid ASM disk on device [232, 3] [root_at_banacek init.d]# ./oracleasm querydisk VOL2 Disk "VOL2" is a valid ASM disk on device [232, 17]

Now when I am installing and creating the asm instance, I get to the Configure Automatic Storage Management as candidate disks it shows the following...

ORCL:VOL1
/dev/raw/raw3

I chose both. It did create the asm instance but generated some errors so I'm trying to start again. The question I have is...

How does the installer choose the candidate disks and why did it list the one in two different formats and not list the other at all? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center