Re: Oracle not liking the index ... sometimes

From: Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:32:07 -0500

Alright this gets even more confusing (to me anyway). I looked in v$sql_bind_capture to see what the datatypes were. When he was running via his java app, it was actually using the right datatypes, 3 varchar2 and 2 numbers.

However, looking at my tests from Oracle SQL Developer, it actually passes in all varchar2(32) types, and uses the index. Pretty counterintuitive.

Just for giggles, I had him change his java app to use setString() on the two number fields as well. This made performance time even worse (not sure how it was worse than already doing an FTS, didn't get a chance to dig deeper since it was really a non-option anyway).

Don.

--
Don Seiler
http://seilerwerks.blogspot.com