Re: Solaris 10 shmmax

From: goran bogdanovic <goran00_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 11:18:59 +0200

...AFAIK, processes attaching to the ISM share the same virtual-to-physical address data structures related to the shared mem. segment avoiding duplication (compared to regular shared memory address translation) and saving considerable CPU time and kernel memory which translates to improved performance. But this is per shared memory segment. If more then one mem. segment is allocated to oracle according to this logic it may theoreticaly (or may not) cause some performance penalty since we have more than one virtual-to-physical address data structures. I have played with this long ago on Solaris 8 and could not see some significant performance differences.
maybe I am wrong :-)

BTW, does anyone knows if DISM segments on Solaris now support large-page MMU? Regards,
Goran