Re: Database Control vs. Grid Control

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 08:39:34 +0100

On 4/2/07, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_oneneck.com> wrote:

> Thanks Wayne. I believe that whether you use the APIs/views or EM, a
> Diagnostics Pack license is required, which in turn requires that you also
> license Enterprise Edition, so it seems that if you only have Standard
> Edition, you are not allowed to query the views no matter what. I
> think most, if not everyone, on this list probably agrees this is a terrible
> policy. I'm pretty sure someone on here even started a petition to try to
> get Oracle to change it, but I haven't heard anything about that for a
> while. I guess if I was collecting the checks for Enterprise Edition, I'd
> probably like the policy :-)

That was me. The response I got from Oracle was essentially that whilst the petition was useful, based on direct conversations with customers they didn't really believe that SE customers would wish to use the packs anyway . Personally I find that hard to believe, and whilst I personally would rather that GC was a free product including at least the diagnostics pack, it does seem incredible to me that Oracle would turn down a potential revenue stream from SE customers. It also seems somewhat legally dubious to ship a product that actually runs code that you cannot legally use, but I've long since given up trying to understand law as it applies to software.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA