RE: Database Control vs. Grid Control

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:32:09 -0700

Thanks Wayne. I believe that whether you use the APIs/views or EM, a Diagnostics Pack license is required, which in turn requires that you also license Enterprise Edition, so it seems that if you only have Standard Edition, you are not allowed to query the views no matter what. I think most, if not everyone, on this list probably agrees this is a terrible policy. I'm pretty sure someone on here even started a petition to try to get Oracle to change it, but I haven't heard anything about that for a while. I guess if I was collecting the checks for Enterprise Edition, I'd probably like the policy :-)

From
<http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/op
tions.htm#CIHGFIAF>
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/opt ions.htm#CIHGFIAF:

"The sections that follow describe the Oracle management packs. The management packs can be purchased only with Enterprise Edition. The features in these packs are accessible through Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control, Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control, and APIs provided with Oracle Database software."

And:

"In order to use the features listed above, you must purchase licenses for the Diagnostic Pack. The Diagnostics Pack functionality can be accessed by Enterprise Manager links as well as through the database server command-line APIs. The use of either interface requires a Diagnostic Pack license.

Regards,
Brandon