RE: "Throttling" a session's IO

From: Smith, Steven K - MSHA <Smith.Steven_at_DOL.GOV>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:37:25 -0600

One option:

Does the data in the mview need to be accessible while it is refreshing? Does this mview need to be refreshed in the same refresh group as other mviews (data concurrency)? If the answer to these 2 questions is no, then you can put this mview in it's own refresh group. This would cause the refresh to use a 'truncate' instead of a 'delete' which doesn't generate undo records.

If you need access to the mview while it is refreshing, then create 2 mviews - _1 and _2 with a synonym of the original mview to point to _1 or _2. Refresh then on an alternating schedule and recreate the synonym after the refresh completes. This isn't 100% accessibility to the mview, but it is pretty close.

Steve Smith
Desk: 303-231-5499