RE: Database Control vs. Grid Control

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:45:15 -0400

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/license.102/b14199/edi tions.htm#CJAHFHBJ

You might consider whether you are going to use the management packs with SE.

Standard Edition 1, Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition. Our databases are EE.

Feature/Option

SE1

SE

EE

Notes

Oracle Change Management Pack

Extra cost option

Oracle Configuration Management Pack

Extra cost option

Oracle Diagnostic Pack

Extra cost option

Oracle Tuning Pack

Extra cost option, also requires the Diagnostic Pack

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Allen, Brandon Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 3:48 PM
To: Ghassan Salem; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Database Control vs. Grid Control

Thank you Ghassan. Just a couple more questions in response:

  1. You recommend not to run GC on the same server with the target DB - can you please elaborate on why? Is it just do to contention for resources, or is there some other reason? I'm not sure if I can justify purchasing another server for GC if I already have enough available resources on the DB server to run both with good performance.
  2. Regarding licensing for Enterprise Edition, I understand that the EE database that serves as the GC does not require a separate license, but I'm not clear on whether the targets can all be Standard Edition, or if the Grid Control license is only provided as long as your target(s) are Enterprise Edition - do you know? I'm still waiting for a response from Oracle Support on this.

Regards,

Brandon

From: Ghassan Salem [mailto:salem.ghassan_at_gmail.com]

I would not advise you install it on your db servers. use another machine.

You do not pay the licence for the repository db, and it is an EE (it has partitioning, ...)