RE: Database Control vs. Grid Control

From: Wayne Adams <work_at_wayneadams.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:34:01 -0700

My 2 cents... (some already covered).

  1. Grid Control works fine against Standard Edition (no special licensing or anything for basic usage). You do not require a DB license for the embedded database that comes with GC (even though technically it is an EE version) as long as that database is just used for GC.
  2. If you have more than a couple of DB's GC over DC is a no brainer (much less overhead in both CPU and disk usage, one URL).
  3. The general reason you put GC on a separate server from the DB's is that it's not a good idea to have a monitoring solution live on the same server as what it is monitoring. If you already have plenty of monitoring solutions and just want GC/DC for its administration/tuning abilities, then it's not a big deal.
  4. Even if you don't use either GC or DC, if you plan to access any of the 10G tuning/diagnostic views (i.e. DBA_HIST_*, V$ACTIVE_SESSION_HISTORY, etc...) then you are supposed to buy a license for the Diagnostics pack. However, there is contradictory documentation that says the Management packs are only valid for EE versions of the database. Don't know what that implies really. Does that mean you can use the views in an SE DB or does it mean that if you DO use the views than you should be paying for an EE license? (only Oracle will tell)

Wayne

Wayne Adams Consulting
www.wayneadamsconsulting.com

RE: Database Control vs. Grid Control
. From: "Bryan Thomas" <bthomas_at_xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
. To: <Brandon.Allen_at_xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l_at_xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
. Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:36:56 -0500

I have discovered, while performance tuning, that the DBC can take a significant percentage of the DB server's CPU - up to 30%. I do not think it is ever advisable to keep the DBC up and running all the time.

This is based on my personnel experience. Maybe others on this list can verify this.

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan Thomas
Senior Consultant and Practice Manager