Re: Database Control vs. Grid Control

From: Ghassan Salem <>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:55:50 +0200

On 3/30/07, Allen, Brandon <> wrote:
> Thank you Ghassan. Just a couple more questions in response:
> 1) You recommend not to run GC on the same server with the target DB - can
> you please elaborate on why? Is it just do to contention for resources, or
> is there some other reason? I'm not sure if I can justify purchasing
> another server for GC if I already have enough available resources on the DB
> server to run both with good performance.

It is just to reduce load on the server. GC will surely consume resources if it is monntoring too many dbs, and used by several dbas. I would rather buy a small PC (a dual core will be enough, anda 100G HD will suffice for the repository DB).

2) Regarding licensing for Enterprise Edition, I understand that the EE
> database that serves as the GC does not require a separate license, but I'm
> not clear on whether the targets can all be Standard Edition, or if the Grid
> Control license is only provided as long as your target(s) are Enterprise
> Edition - do you know? I'm still waiting for a response from Oracle Support
> on this.

There is no licence for GC, you buy the packs only (and plugins). I 'm not sure about it, but I do not see why the agent cannot monitor an SE.