RE: Oracle CRS and Split Brin

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:15:40 -0700

Kevin mentioned that in a split brain scenario the lower node would survive always

...It appears as though it is the lowest as per the CRS node number, but not the lowest IP...but again, I'm likely confusing things because the formula is not clearly available and we are talking about true split brain where there is a clean hemispherical split of the cluster (1/1,2/2). Split brain resolution techniques/algorithms are the family jewels of clusterware. The way things are these days, you generally find out more about how they work after they are patented as is the case here at PolyServe (I mean HP):

PolyServe 7,148,853
<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PAL L&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7149853.PN.&OS=P N/7149853&RS=PN/7149853>

  7,148,853 is on of the many algorithms that come into play when there are cluster meltdowns in a PolyServe cluster.