Re: Using PQ in FTS

From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 03:04:54 -0500

see inline comments

On 3/29/07, Christian Antognini <Christian.Antognini_at_trivadis.com> wrote:

> Frits
>
> > If mixed access (meaning both buffered and direct access)
> > is done on objects where DML is happening, it can result
> > in buffer busy waits because extents needs to be
> > checkpointed before direct access can occure.
>
> Be careful... checkpoints are not performed at extent level...
>
> Up to 10gR1 checkpoints are executed at tablespace level.

Ah! That explains; I've witnessed waits at partitions.

As of 10gR2 checkpoints are executed at segment level (e.g. for a
> partitioned table a single partition can be checkpointed).
>
> > Seen a great deal of buffer busy waits in 9.2.0.6/linux where
> > concurrent DML queries got downgraded to serial due to the
> > parallel automatic tuning.
>
> Do you mean because of parallel adaptive multi user?

Yes, I meant 'parallel_adaptive_multi_user' enabled because of 'parallel_automatic_tuning'.

Point I am trying to make is PX is both extremely powerfull and also extremely dangerous; even with just doing reads and sorts it requires to have complete control over the database and the machine(s) the database lives on. Unexpected extra jobs could lead to performance degradation instead of performance benefit.

Doing DML takes this even further and can give very bad results if both buffered and direct DML is done at the same time.

Regards,
> Chris

thanks,

frits