RE: Methods to clone large production database

From: Pal, Raj <Raj.Pal_at_echostar.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:12:20 -0600

9 hours seems long for 750Gb to disk. I'm seeing 10hrs:40min for a 9.8Tb (segment size alone) database. Mind you, there are 32 cpus and 196 Gb mem, but the backup is writing to SAN attached Clariion-ATA disk (fairly slow... and inexpensive). We're also using 33 channels with not too much of a performance hit. So for the 750Gb 0hr backup... are you using a catalog database? If so, how?

Since the original post was for an alternative to RMAN duplicate for the creation of the other database... try "RMAN copy" of datafiles. Recovery will be necessary, but "hot-backup-mode" will not be necessary. When duplicating the database mentioned above, we mount disk to the host, RMAN copy the datafiles over, and then remount the disk to the host we want to duplicate the database on. This was only done due to the size of the database and the fact that we have had past issues with "hot-backup-mode" for large databases. Works well, so is appropriate for same host replication if you can't get the duplicate to work.