Re: Schema updates - roles

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:36:02 -0500

David,

I have indeed worked with some developers with skills I greatly respected. However, I think that operations need to be separation from development. Many organizations are moving to incororate the ITIL model. Basically for DBAs this often means three databases:

  1. Production database
  2. Test database. A recent clone of production.
  3. Development database. The developers can do what they want in the development database. The results of their development is a set of scripts to be applied to production. The person responsible for updating production will take those scripts and instructions and apply them to the test database. Then users test against the test database. Once everyone is satisfied, a production upgrade is scheduled and carried out by the same person who applied the scripts to test. One final argument for separating duties. Today your developers may indeed be top-notch. However, tomorrow a big project may be started and many contractors hired to develop on the new project. If you have a history of developers updating production, it may be difficult to clamp down on some cowboy developer before they trash your production.

Dennis Williams