Proposed Report Server Architecture

From: Allan Nelson <anelson77388_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:19:10 -0500

We have been running our reporting tool (Cognos) against our Oracle E-Business Suite schemas for some years now. This situation is about to end and I am considering architectures that will lead me to a data warehouse type environment. What I would like to consider is a logical standby database running on a Linux based RAC. I'm reluctant to introduce RAC into my environment without a fairly certain return on cost and complexity. Could I use one node of the RAC to apply the logs to while leaving other nodes free for reporting? Would this be a recipe for trouble given that one node would be updating objects another node would be querying? Or could I use one node to apply logs, another node to do ETL in the standby and yet other nodes to report against the denormalized data? Some of the criteria that are driving our discussions is the need to get reporting off production fairly quickly and a readily scalable architecture. I have heard that RAC is not all that scalable unless careful consideration is given to the application so that use of the interconnect is as small as possible. I know this question is very general but I would appreciate any discussion or pointers to documentation or presentations. We will be in a 10gR2 environment when this effort takes off.

Thanks
Allan