Re: Methods to clone large production database

From: Dennis Williams <oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 19:03:31 -0500

Lara,

Perhaps you can give us a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish and your restrictions. You've stated that you can't have a production downtime. What are the other restrictions? Using your database backup is a method I always favor because if that doesn't work adequately, what is the point. I'm surprised RMAN duplicate doesn't offer the performance you need. It meets your criteria of no downtime. You might also try to determine where the bottleneck lies. Possibly your network? You could try a hot backup, but I doubt that would be any faster than RMAN. And yep, too bad BCV's aren't available.

Dennis Williams