RE: Solaris 10 shmmax

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:30:31 -0400

Ahh...but I didn't say that SHMMAX doesn't matter. I'm sure that SHMMAX does matter and that there are values of SHMMAX for which Oracle simply won't start. For 10gR2 on 64-bit Sparc Solaris, Oracle recommends 4,294,967,295. If you go w/ that value of SHMMAX and you are on a box w/ lots of RAM and more than 4GB of RAM, Oracle will start with multiple shared memory chunks making up the SGA. This is what I'm saying doesn't matter.

All I'm saying is, if you have SHMMAX properly set to what Oracle recommends and your SGA ends up in multiple shared memory chunks, it doesn't matter. It's not important, it's not worth worrying about.

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."

From: amonte [mailto:ax.mount_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 2:20 PM To: Bobak, Mark Cc: kevinc_at_polyserve.com; Hameed, Amir; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: Solaris 10 shmmax Hi The box I have installed were Sun Blades, with four AMD Opteron Dual Core CPUs and 8GB Memory. Mark if shmmax does not matter I dont understand why it is a requirement in Oracle 10gR2 Installation Guide .... On 3/26/07, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com> wrote: Does it really matter if your shared memory is in one chunk or not? I seem to remember a bit of misinformation that used to float around was that if the SGA was not in a single shared memory chunk, then ISM was disabled. Turns out that isn't true. I can't think of any reason why it would be important for the SGA to be in one contiguous memory chunk. -Mark -- Mark J. Bobak Senior Oracle Architect P roQuest/CSA "There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Closson Sent: Monday, March 26, 2007 1:09 PM To: Hameed, Amir; ax.mount_at_GMAIL.COM; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Solaris 10 shmmax The 490 is a flat memory box and the Solaris port is smart enough to behave correctly. On the other hand, I have a lab server( Sun v490) running 10.2.0.2 on Solaris9. The shmmax is set to 20GB. My SGA is 12GB and I am seeing only one segment from ipcs. I have not tinkered with the NUMA optimization parameter. Per Metalink note 39926.1, multiple shared memory segments in 10gR2 are there for performance reason. Why is the behaviors of shared memory segments in 10gR2 is different on the same platform (v490 versus 6900)? -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l