Re: Sun T2000

From: Alexander Fatkulin <afatkulin_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 15:08:48 +1000

Duncan,

I've recently done a "quick and dirty" comparison of the T2000 server vs Proliant DL380 G3 (based on 3Ghz Xeons).

One Niagara core were approximately 7 to 8 times slower than single Xeon CPU in batch task (huge sorts/aggregates) - that is, you need a parallel factor of eight on this "everywhere cool" server in order to beat single threaded Xeon.

That being said - you still can use T2000 for batch jobs _if_ your can parallelize them. Otherwise the performance of a single core is just abysmal at best.

--
Alexander Fatkulin