RMAN recovery from tape with automatic channels

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:12:52 -0700

Whilst trying to simplify our restore procedures by using automatic channels to configure RMAN for tape, I have run into the following problem.

A simple restore and recover operations fails because RMAN is opening a disk channel rather than a tape channel.

RMAN> run {

2> #allocate channel ch1 type 'sbt';
3>      restore database;
4>      recover database;
5>      alter database open;
6> }

Starting restore at 20-MAR-07

allocated channel: ORA_DISK_1

channel ORA_DISK_1: sid=13 devtype=DISK
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 03/20/2007 12:05:59
RMAN-06026: some targets not found - aborting restore RMAN-06100: no channel to restore a backup or copy of datafile 10 ...
RMAN-06100: no channel to restore a backup or copy of datafile 1
RMAN>
RMAN>
RMAN> **end-of-file**

RMAN> show channel;

RMAN configuration parameters are:
CONFIGURE CHANNEL DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' MAXOPENFILES 8; RMAN> As you can see, SBT_TAPE is set as the automatic channel. The script works as expected if the 'allocate channel' line is uncommented.

Backups via the automatic channel work fine.

Environment:
Oracle 9.2.0.7
No Recovery catalog
Veritas NetBackup 5.1 MP5
Windows Server 2003 SP1

Has anyone here run into this?
Or know a possible solution?

I have searched MetaLink and googled - not much help.

Thanks,

--

Jared Still

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Mar 20 2007 - 15:12:52 CDT