RE: 10g upgrade survey

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:19:08 -0400

Yes, I agree. Would also point out some bugs that have been reported on this forum. One was manual upgrades through 10.2.0.3 with datafiles created back in eight. However, if you ask me, and you have the down time. Moving things directly into Locally managed tablespaces now and getting it overwith is worth it.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
joel.patterson_at_crowley.com
x72546
904 727-2546

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of GovindanK Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 2:50 PM
To: Allen, Brandon; oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com; Oracle Discussion List Subject: RE: 10g upgrade survey

 Yes. #2 supports exp/imp; We had to go that way since we had dictionary corruption. I am not all that happy with making a copy of dba_objects. That leaves it with #1.

Another aspect that comes to my mind is that if you are creating a brand new 10g database (say) and exp/imp data from 9i or 8i or 8 which had Dict.Mgnd tablespace, then the imported data will be sitting in LMT and this would not be exactly be the same as what it was earlier. With upgrade , your tablespace would still be DMT. If it is production i would prefer to go with Upgrade. I agree it is round about way first upgrading to 8.1.7.4 or any other higher (supported) patch level and then upgrading to 10g. That can introduce errors as well. Just my opinion.

Regards

Govindan

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:56:04 -0700, "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com> said:

        Not sure what you mean by #2 - it sounds like an argument for using exp/imp as you have it phrased there.

        If you really care about retaining object creation times, I'd recommend logging them somewhere else than in dba_objects because they can get updated there at unexpected times. You could easily do a "create table object_creation_dates as select owner, object_id, object_name, created from dba_objects" and that would take care of that problem for you.

        Regards,

        Brandon