RE: Differences between Oracle and Progress

From: Kevin Closson <kevinc_at_polyserve.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:14:10 -0700

I'll second this. Progress is a different animal, not to be confused with Postgres at all. I was saddled with the unpleasant task of upgrading our v6 Progress db to v9 just so we could move it off of SCO onto Linux for some legacy inventory application. That's more Progress than I even want to know again.

...pretty cool 4GL though...back when 4GLs seemed sexy. I did a lot of Progress V6 stuff and liveed to tell about it. Love the Pcode libraries...no wait, I mean I hate the fact that they didn't mmap them and caused massive OS buffer cache contention because they constantly opened and read them...ugh.