Re: Archivelog mysteries

From: Alberto Dell'Era <alberto.dellera_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:45:26 +0100

Are those chars or bytes ?

The "Application Developer's Guide - Large Objects" says http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14249/adlob_tables.htm#sthref155

"Storing Varying-Width Character Data in LOBs

Varying-width character data in CLOB and NCLOB datatypes is stored in an internal format that is compatible with UCS2 Unicode character set format"

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCS-2: "UCS2 ... is a fixed-length encoding that always encodes characters into a single 16-bit value. "

So, maybe one char is being always stored as two bytes ? If yes, the redo logs will be twice as big (approx) as their count in chars ... even if conceptually they could converted back to varying-length before
being stored in the redo (but you can check that of course).

--
Alberto Dell'Era
"dulce bellum inexpertis"