Re: Why an organization would need an enterprise DB team

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:18:17 -0700

On 3/19/07, Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Same thing with DBA's. For example, when I came here I
> didn't know a thing about Hibernate, our persistance
> layer. I took a couple of days, installed it, played
> with the demos and read a couple of books and numbers
> of web sites over a couple of weeks (ok... I
> skimmed!). Am I a Hibernate expert? Nope. Do I
> understand something about Hibernate and how it works
> as a persistence layer? You bet. Do I understand the
> developers when they talk to me about Hibernate? Yes.

I attended a 2 hour Hotsos session on Web Development for the same reasons. I won't be writing code to fit the Model-View-Control model, but now at least I can converse with people that do write the code.

No need to be an expert as Robert said, you just need to have understanding of the basics.

--
Jared Still