Re: Move from Veritas to ASM

From: Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:23:23 -0500

Fairlie,

Veritas Custer Server is the foundation for Veritas Cluster File System and Veritas Cluster Volume Manager. VCS provides basic cluster services for VxCFS and VxCVM.

It's same like Oracle 10g RAC (with ASM or without) database cannot exist without CRS.

Running Veritas CFS and Oracle RAC on the same server will require coexistence of both VCS and CRS. Normal setup is to integrate CRS with VCS so that CRS sits on top of VCS and uses its cluster services.

It's possible to install CRS so that it's not aware of third-party clusterware (tweaking installation process) but in practice it's hardly justifiable as two clusterwares may take two different decisions at some point leading to cluster outage and possibly data corruption.

Now back to ASM - whether CRS is integrated with VCS or not, ASM can use disks that are VxVM volumes or LUNs directly or multipathing devices. So you can have CRS installed on top of VCS and ASM using LUNs directly - and that's what Gopal said I think.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Best regards,