RE: Auto Extend On, Increment By

From: Baumgartel, Paul <paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 11:55:25 -0400

My objection to autoextend is that a faulty process or application can (erroneously) insert reams of data into a table, extending the file and the tablespace high-water mark such that the space is hard to reclaim even after the bad data has been deleted. This perhaps is not a frequent occurrence, but it's happened to me enough to turn me against autoextend.

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
DBA & Admin - NY, KIGA 1
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
www.credit-suisse.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Smith, Steven K - MSHA Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 11:10 AM
To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Auto Extend On, Increment By

I don't see the big downside of having autoextend on (except for temp tablespaces - those things can become a monster with a bad piece of code). At our shop, we use nagios to monitor the file systems. This helps prevent us from running out of space in the file system without having a tablespace fill up with a job in the middle of the night that I wasn't told was going to run. (kind of like having a GPS ankle bracelet on your teenager - right Tim?)

That said - I believe in monitoring to make sure that my space assumptions continue to be correct. If circumstances change because of a release of code or a change in the business model, then I can decide if I need to change my storage strategy.

Steve Smith

Desk: 303-231-5499