RE: Auto Extend On, Increment By

From: Mercadante, Thomas F \(LABOR\) <Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 08:50:48 -0400

Joel,

This whole discussion always is defined by your current infrastructure. In your case, you have slow steady growth, so an active auto-extend infrastructure and monitoring process probably does not make sense.

But for those of us who have databases that either grow regularly, or have active batch loads, auto-extend and active disk growth monitoring is a requirement. I certainly do not want to be called to work because an Oracle data file is full when there is enough room on disk where it can grow by itself. Of course, once you turn this on, you need a monitoring process to forecast when you will fill disk and when you need to inform management that more disk needs to be purchased.

So there is no right or wrong way to do this. As with all things, Oracle gives us the ability to allow the database to grow automatically. But we don't need to use it.

Tom

This transmission may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information which is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying or distribution of this transmission or its attachments is strictly prohibited. In addition, unauthorized access to this transmission may violate federal or State law, including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1985. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the transmission and its attachments.

From: Dennis Williams [mailto:oracledba.williams_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 8:00 PM
To: Patterson, Joel
Cc: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org

Joel,

If you decide to switch to autoextend, I think this is the least issue to decide. The important issue is how space will be monitored. Done right, autoextend can give you a single space indicator to monitor. But make sure none of your tables have a limit of extents or you'll get a failure even though you still have disk space.

Dennis Williams