RE: Auto Extend On, Increment By

From: <jim.silverman_at_Thomson.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:30:23 -0400

Personally, I don't like to use AUTOEXTEND on any datafiles. On more than one occasion we've run into problems in which a datafile autoextended to the point where there was no more room in the filesystem. As a result, the issue now included not only the database, but the OS as well. And, while recovering from this situation (e.g., moving a datafile to another filesystem) is not rocket science, it's yet another complication in our already complicated lives.

I'd rather make use of monitors that warn us when we're close to filling a tablespace, at which time we have the luxury of deciding how to deal with the situation.

Just my $0.02...

Jim Silverman
Senior Systems Database Administrator
Solucient, LLC - A Thomson Company