too many session open and you can't log in?

From: <ryan_gaffuri_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 01:13:59 +0000

I had a problem last night where you could not log into sql plus. Seen this in cases where you bulk collect and do not use a limit clause and suck up too much memory.

I noticed alot of sessions open at the time. Normally they are opened do a quick query and close. So I should see few open at any one time.

is it possible to open so many sessions that you can't even log into oracle? I tried to kill -9 the sessions, but I believe I remember that this does not really kill the oracle sessions.

how would you proceed if this happened again?