RE: Oracle*Net connection problem

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:44:28 -0700

Greetings,

This is interesting. We have an application that uses .NET and we were noticing performance degradation using ONAMES. The vendor indicated that .NET performs much better with TNSNAMES as opposed to ONAMES. Do you have more information about this particular bug?

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center
wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu
(530) 754-6208

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 1:56 PM
To: mgogala_at_vmsinfo.com
Cc: oracle-l
Subject: Re: Oracle*Net connection problem

Hi Mladen,

Is Oracle Names in the mix?

I don't know about 9.2.0.8, but with 9.2.0.6 it has been necessary to use a local tnsnames.ora file here when the client is Java and/or .Net.

These tend to make a number of connections to the database, and a bug in the 9.2 client causes name resolution to periodically fail.

Jared

On 3/14/07, Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_vmsinfo.com> wrote:

	I have a strange problem: 10.x clients intermittently break the
	connection with Oracle 9i (9.2.0.8). The error
	I get is 3113 but there is no accompanying error on the 9.2
server side.
	I am unable to find any bug filed
	about that. Has anybody else seen things like that? Unexplicable
3113
	errors without a trace on the server
	side? It happens only when different major versions of the
database are
	involved.

	--
	Mladen Gogala