RE: db file sequential read - again

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_il.proquest.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:31:42 -0400

Hi JH,

I went through an exercise a while ago where I tried to determine which segments were candidates for a KEEP or RECYCLE pool.

The query I came up with is:

  select vss.owner,
         vss.object_name,
         vss.statistic_name,
         vss.value,
         ds.bytes segsize,
         ds.buffer_pool
    from v$segment_statistics vss,
         dba_segments ds
   where vss.statistic_name ='physical reads'
     and vss.value > 5000000 ---You may need to play with this threshold
value for your environment
     and ds.segment_type = vss.object_type
     and ds.segment_name = vss.object_name
     and ds.owner=vss.owner
     and ds.buffer_pool = 'DEFAULT'

order by value
/

Now, this helped me identify the segments that had the largest levels of physical IO, and the size of the segment. The idea is, "show me which segments are in the DEFAULT pool and are doing the largest numbers of physical reads, and show me how big those segments are."

Also, before running the above query, to

Next, ask yourself these questions:

Once you've got the new pools sized and setup, let the system run a while, do some monitoring, see if things improve. Check V$DB_CACHE_ADVICE to see if Oracle thinks any of the pools should be resized.

I had some good success with implementation of KEEP and RECYCLE buffer pools. Hope it goes as well for you as it did for me.....

Hope that helps,

-Mark

--
Mark J. Bobak
Senior Oracle Architect

"There are 10 types of people in the world:  Those who understand
binary, and those who don't."