Correction - RE: RE: db file sequential read - again

From: <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:30:07 +0000

Sorry, not enough coffee this morning and I'm still not adjusted to the new DST!

The 3rd section (table full scans) should read

Tables are often read with multi block reads, but not always.

Indexes are often/usually read with single block read calls, but not always. For example, an index fast full scan will read an index using multi block read calls.

Table full scans are multi block read calls, but not always.

Here is an example from a trace file. Comments added for clarity.

Actual Execution Plan of query

STAT #9 id=1 cnt=1 pid=0 pos=1 obj=0 op='SORT GROUP BY NOSORT (cr=8257 pr=17835 pw=0 time=7987272 us)'
STAT #9 id=2 cnt=10921 pid=1 pos=1 obj=59390 op='TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID ORDER_MASTER (cr=8257 pr=17835 pw=0 time=9409934 us)'
STAT #9 id=3 cnt=10921 pid=2 pos=1 obj=59394 op='INDEX RANGE SCAN FK_ORDMAST_CUSTID (cr=26 pr=34 pw=0 time=207179 us)'

 OBJECT_ID OBJECT_NAME
---------- ------------------------------

     59390 ORDER_MASTER
     59394 FK_ORDMAST_CUSTID

Regards,
Daniel Fink

I know this has been discussed here before....I have a small C++ program in a timer loop that spins around looking for the db file scattered read as well as the db file sequential read event and logs the segments to a table on the side. I've noticed that some of the 'sequential' read events have their P1 and P2 parameters referring to segments marked 'TABLE' in DBA_EXTENTS. I had always
thought the 'sequential' event referred to index blocks

Also ... what do db file sequential reads of block #0 of a datafile represent? This is 9.2.07 on AIX 5.3 (Asynch I/O enabled), all tablespaces are LMT. I'm assuming these single block reads of block 0 are for space management and therefore unavoidable?

Bonus question....this is a Siebel V7.5.3 db running in RULE mode with Indexes up the wahzoo. I'm seeing a lot of db file sequential read waits because RBO is
using any index it finds (which we all know could be a bad thing!). I'm thinking of putting hot indexes into their own buffer pool since I've got tons of memory. Does this sound like a reasonable approach to you folks?

Thanks in Advance!

Jeff H

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Mar 13 2007 - 09:30:07 CDT