Question re oracleasm

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:02:28 -0700

Greetings,

I have installed asmlib on some of our Linux RHEL3 RAC clusters running 10gR1. I see a /dev/oracleasm in which there is one or more empty plain files:
$ cd /dev/oracleasm
$ ls -lR
.:
total 0

drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Mar  1 12:26 disks
drwxrwx---    1 oracle   dba             0 Mar  1 12:26 iid

./disks:
total 0

./iid:
total 0
-rwx------ 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 1 12:28 0000000000000001
-rwx------ 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 1 12:29 0000000000000002
-rwx------ 1 oracle dba 0 Mar 5 14:15 0000000000000003
$

I have no idea what these files are for or what created them. Does anyone know what they are for?

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center