Re: Rac basic

From: Mark Strickland <strickland.mark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:22:16 -0700

I recently built a 2-node RAC-on-Linux-on-VMWARE on my laptop in just 1-GB of RAM with a single-core cpu. I followed Vincent Chan's document at http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/chan-ubl-vmware.html. The cluster barely runs with such limited RAM and I had to manually copy the binaries from one node to another rather than rely on the installer to do it because the laptop couldn't provide enough cpu cycles to keep the clocks sync'd between the two virtual machines. The installer would fail partway through the copy because it detected that the clocks were out of sync. One little correction to the instructions is that you need to include the developer tools in the list of packages that you install from the Oracle Enterprise Linux media. Otherwise, the Oracle installer gets a hairball because it can't find the right gcc. I'm quite enjoying having a RAC sandbox that I can repeatedly destroy. I inherited a RAC environment which I manage competently enough, but I didn't have the level of confidence that I needed because I had never built a cluster from the ground up. Going through the steps of building my sandbox has significantly increased my confidence level.

Regards,
Mark Strickland
Seattle, WA